Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pickled Peppers - My first time canning!


So this was my first year gardening AND canning.  Here is my crop of peppers, not even sure what kind they are - Chris thinks maybe pepperoncinis. Next to it is some fresh oregano from my garden too that I used in the canning recipe.  I meant to take more pictures but kept forgetting.

Please remember when working with peppers to wear rubber gloves (I've read that latex gloves are a bit porous and don't work as well).  I mention this mostly because about a month ago I was cutting jalapenos and got some of the juice in a hang nail I had - it was so painful, burned the entire day.  Coincidentally, that same day, Brooklyn got into my bowl of pepper seeds that I save on the kitchen window sill to dry out.  She kept telling me her lips were burning but when I asked if she had gotten into the seeds she said "No" because she thought she would be in trouble for getting up on the counter. By the time I got her to confess it was too late to remedy the problem with anything but ice wrapped in a wash cloth, poor kid.  So please be careful!



Quick Pickled Hot Peppers

3/4 c water
3/4 c vinegar
3 T sugar
1 T Kosher salt
1 clove crushed garlic
1/2 t oregano (or 1 sprig of fresh oregano chopped finely)
10 large peppers sliced (I'm still new to this but I think any hot/spicy pepper will work)

Combine all ingredients except peppers in pan on stove top.  Bring to a boil.  Pack peppers in canning jar (I used a 1 pint jar since I only had 8 small peppers), pour mixture over peppers and put lid on tightly and refrigerate until ready to eat.  I am going to wait a week or so to try mine so the flavors can fuse.



I'll let you know how it turns out!


1 comment: